This retro inspired wavy look is an elegant upgrade from the tousled beach-wave look that we LOVE for during the day. Transitioning to the retro wave makes the perfect evening appearance. It’s simple and sleek and not to mention timeless.
How To Create Retro Waves
First, grab your curling iron and Redken Iron Shape 11. Find a good, deep side part as this is the hallmark of the retro wave style–a dramatic side part.
Now, let’s get curling.
1. Grab a 1″ barrel curling iron.
2. You need to work in sections. Front (left and right), side (left and right) and back (split the back into left and right sections). If your hair is thick, you will need to further divide your left and right sections into another section each. Spray each section with Redken Iron Shape 11 right before curling it.
3. Starting with your front left section, place the curling iron just above your ear. Do not go all the way up to the scalp. Wrap curl that section towards your face. Let it set and then unravel. If the curl is not perfect, curl it again. After your curl is just right, you may want to clip it up and away from your face so it doesn’t interfere with curling the other sections.
4. Repeat the same steps for each section. You will be looking a little bit like Shirley Temple right about now…that’s ok…we’re going to fix that!
5. After you’ve got all of your sections curled and they cool off, take a teasing comb and start combing gently through each section. They curls will start to come together now, looking less like Shirley Temple. If any curls came too undone, give them another round with the iron. Once it’s all set, give it a quick spritz with Iron Shape 11 again and you are ready to rock!